Keywords: empowering leadership, leadership, leadership style, cross-cultural leadership, leadership development
Empowering leadership refers to leadership behaviours that are primarily focused on delegating authority to employees and promoting self-directed and autonomous decision-making, coaching, knowledge sharing and a coaching /facilitative style of leadership.
Whilst the empowering leadership style has been found in a number of previous studies to be a distinct form of leadership, and differentiated from transformational, transactional, and laissez-faire leadership, it is, however, considered to be part of the servant leadership ‘family’.
The aim of an empowering leadership style is to transfer power and decision-making to subordinates as much as possible whilst providing support to ensure that employees are equipped to be able to take on the responsibilities to make the decisions they need to make.
This study looked at how an empowering leadership in different cultural situations. This research briefing will be really useful for anyone engaged in leadership, leadership development and cultural organisational development and change.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...