Keywords: expertise, influence, upward influence, power, relationships, relations, consultants, experts, outsider
One of the problems with being a consultant or external/peripheral expert is that you have little power within the organisation to ensure that your recommendations and thinking are enacted. As organisations increasingly turn to hiring experts and consultants in order to solve an ever-increasing range of organisational problems, experts face the knotty problem of how to get cooperation and how to influence
organisational members, who can ignore or negate their recommendations and ideas with ease and with little, if any, recourse.
A number of previous studies have found that managers within the organisation can often feel threatened and their autonomy diminished by peripheral experts and consultants and, as a result, are significantly more likely to reject both the experts’ solutions and ideas or exert control over them by changing their recommendations as a form of ego-defence.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...