Messages and orders from leaders and managers create a world of meaning in organisations. Often however the messages managers send out can create a paradox i.e. inconsistencies, uncertainties and ambiguity that defy the prevailing logic within the organisation. These in effect, create uncertainty about the aims and goals the employee should have.
The study at hand, by a team of researchers from Umeå University in Sweden, looked at how people in organisations make sense of the paradoxes that frequently stem from management and leadership communications, both direct, like purposeful memos and direct communication, and indirect, like the messages people get from the actions, reactions, body language and language managers and leaders use.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...