Keywords: expertise, developing expertise, learning, learning and development
The idea of having expertise in an area is an important one in organisations and yet we rarely give much thought to what this might mean. For example, does having expertise imply rational thought, are we talking about levels of intuition, or is more implicated in the idea of expertise and if so what more? In short, what do we mean when we refer to someone as being an expert or having expertise?
A new paper sheds some light on this issue by considering the idea of expertise and the character of an expert from three philosophical viewpoints. These questions matter particularly in terms of the development of expertise and what our expectations are of ‘the experts’. Additionally, in this era of ‘fake news’, it is important to know who to trust. Plato himself once commented that even a wise person finds it difficult to distinguish a fake physician from a real one.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...