Keywords: flow, work performance, task absorption, intrinsic motivation, focus, work enjoyment, self-determination theory, personal resources
The feeling of being in flow is one where you have settled into a nice rhythm and cadence of work, are completely immersed, feeling a sense of progression, enjoyment and motivation. When we achieve a state of flow we do not notice the passage of time, as we are wholly focused on the task at hand.
Flow is in effect an optimal or peak experience when our skills match the challenge of the work and we are performing at an optimal level.
The three elements of flow
- Total immersion or absorption in a task.
- Enjoyment in the work without necessarily being aware of this due to the focus involved.
- An underlying and intrinsic sense of motivation. Again, because of the level of focus involved in flow, one may not be aware of this motivation.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...