Is there really any difference between the generations at work? What the research actually says
A lot has been written recently about the various generations at work and their attributes, for example generation X, generation Y and generation Z. Indeed, there have been a number of published papers on these very topics trying to identify the differences between the generations at work. The question is is there really any compelling evidence to suggest that the generations really are different from each other?
A new series of studies by researchers from the UK, America and Germany looked at the research evidence over the years to see if there is any evidence for generational differences that are relevant to leadership, followership, leadership development and general work outcomes.
The idea of generational difference
The original idea about generational differences first really raised its head in the research literature around 1927 when researchers claimed that new ‘birth cohorts’ bring a new set of perspectives and a form of shared consciousness to the problems that they see and face as they mature….
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...