Keywords: performance management, management, poor performance
Clearly, line managers are critical when it comes to managing the performance of employees. Performance management is seen today as the realm of the line manager, rather than that of the HR professional. Line managers are expected to be confident in identifying and managing poorly performing staff including engaging with formal disciplinary procedures, performance indicators, and conflict resolution strategies.
Previous studies have found that effective performance management has a range of organisational benefits including:
- Increased employee engagement
- Increased performance, both at an individual employee level and organisational level
- Higher levels of motivation
- Lower levels of employee disciplinary issues
- Lower levels of employee turnover.
A new study by a team of researchers from Murdoch University and a Melbourne hospital wanted to understand the perceptions and experiences of managers having to manage poor performance to see what can be learnt.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...