New research from Germany has shown that it isn’t the amount of time people believe that they have left at an organisation that determines their levels of job satisfaction, so much as the opportunities they have within the organisation. In short, where someone is coming near retirement age, giving them training and development opportunities even toward the end of their career will give them the drive to support the organisation right until their last week there.
Organisational future time perspective
Organisational future time perspective is a psychological construct which reflects “how much remaining time and how many remaining opportunities people perceive themselves as having left in future occupational life.”This doesn’t just apply to the soon to be retired, but a younger person who may see opportunities outside the organisation. For example, organisational future time perspective applies just as much to someone in their mid 20s and planning to career hop as much right through to someone who is 64 and about to retire.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...