Keywords: leader, leadership, transformational leadership, leadership development
New leaders are rarely adequately prepared before taking up the mantle of leadership. A number of previous studies have shown that many new leaders rarely understand the practice of transformational leadership as they commence their journey as leaders. Senior management and leaders require an effective leadership approach in order to engage in sound decision-making and behaviour, particularly in complex situations which are frequently distinguished by cognitive, emotional and physical overload. This is particularly the case for leaders and managers in the emergency services. Of the numerous leadership styles, a transformational leadership (together with servant leadership) style provides the most relevant and suitable leadership responses to complex situations and, in particular, with adaptive organisations.
A new study based on nursing leaders has found that few aspirant leaders understand transformational leadership or its role in creating change in complex adaptive systems. The research looks at how in increase to chances of new leaders taking on a transformational role. This briefing will be of particular interest to anyone in leadership development, executive coaching and organisational learning roles.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...