Keywords: mentor, mentoring, effective mentoring, management mentoring, management mentor, mentor characteristics, mentee, inter-organisational mentoring, effective mentoring
Mentors have long played a significant role in the development of individuals within organisations. One of the more successful approaches to mentoring has been interorganisational schemes where mentors from other organisations help new and developing leaders and managers to get to grips with their role and to see things from different perspectives.
In brief, mentoring has been found to fall into two basic categories:
- Career function mentoring. Such mentoring focuses on learning from an experienced manager or leader and helping the individual become more effective within the role. This can include mentors from the same industry or different industries focusing on the role as manager or leader.
- Psychosocial functioning mentoring. This is where individuals gain support and insight around their own personal development and is often more akin to counselling and friendship.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...