Keywords: performance appraisal, annual appraisal, employee performance, management, employee satisfaction
There is a significantly low level of employee satisfaction with organisational performance appraisals in general, which includes a degree of cynicism and mistrust about the usefulness and accuracy of such instruments. Even amongst management populations confidence in performance appraisals is not high.
A new review of literature looks at the factors that tend to improve employee satisfaction with performance appraisals. As part of the whole management by objectives movement from the 1980s, the performance appraisal has been an endearing and all-pervasive feature of organisations. However, over the years a considerable degree of cynicism and mistrust has arisen about the effectiveness and use of the performance appraisal system in organisations. This mistrust and cynicism is not just an employee phenomenon but extends into leadership and management circles as well.
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...