Keywords: leadership, introvert, extrovert, introversion, extroversion, leadership development, emergent leadership, informal leadership, affective forecasting errors
Emergent, or informal, leaders are people who take on and are accepted as a leader, even though no formal leader has been prescribed. Not only do emerging leaders come across as leader like, they also tend to provide motivation, support, direction and a level of regulation or command that helps the team achieve its goals. Emergent leadership has become a growing area of interest, both within the research and within organisations. Recent studies have found that extroverts are significantly more likely to put themselves forward as leaders than introverts even though a number of studies have found that introverts often make better leaders in a variety of situations.
This research looked at what holds introverts back from leadership roles. It is very insightful and helps to develop a difference approach / thinking to leadership development…
Get the full research briefing including all references
About our research briefings
Not a member?
Apply to join now and get:
- Weekly research briefings sent direct to you every week
- A copy of the Oxford Review containing between twelve and sixteen additional research briefings every month
- Research Infographics
- Video research briefings.
- Special reports / short literature reviews on topics that appear to be getting a lot of research attention or if there has been a recent shift in the thinking or theory
- The ability to request a watch list for new research in keyword areas (as long as it is within the realms of:
- Human resources (not legal aspects)
- Organisational development
- Organisational change
- Organisational learning
- Learning and development,
- Work Psychology
- Decision making
- Request specific research / brief literature reviews
- Access to the entire archive of previous research briefings, copies of the Oxford Review, infographics, video research briefings and special reports.
- Access to Live Reports – continually updated as new research on the topic is released
- Members only podcasts – research briefings in audio – coming soon
- Live continually updated reports
Be the most up-to-date person in the room
Be impressively well informed
Get the very latest research intelligence briefings, video research briefings, infographics and more sent direct to you as they are published
Be the most impressively well-informed and up-to-date person around...